30 July 2018
Model shows marine waste likely to land on Groote
map

ANINDILYAKWA Land and Sea Rangers are working with researchers to understand how oceans currents, tides and wind conditions can move marine debris around the waters of Groote Eylandt.

The researchers use a computer program to create an oceanographic model that can predict the movement of marine debris.

The model mapped the likely path a bottle took to get from Karumba to Groote using average dry season wind conditions and 2000 virtual bottles released at Karumba.

It showed the bottle had an 85.7 per cent chance of reaching the east coast of Groote, 14 per cent chance of being beached at Mornington Island and 0.3 per cent chance of landing in Blue Mud Bay.